The Rigging/CFX Supervisor will lead by example, deliver briefs and set the quality standards for all rigging and cfx work completed. They will coach, guide and provide feedback to artists ensuring detailed and high quality work is delivered to other departments in the pipeline. The Rigging/CFX Supervisor will be responsible for employee performance management and supervision.
Equally, the Rigging/CFX Supervisor will establish themselves as a key member of the leadership team and will build relationships with all Image Engine Supervisors and Leads. They will leverage their relationships with department Supervisors to build cross-departmental efficiencies. They will communicate with the Leads and the Asset Supervisor to develop cost effective bids. They will take an active role in the development of our rigging technology, be a liaison with R&D and guide the development efforts to meet your standards for Rigging and CFX.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interview, select and train artists in both the Rigging and CFX departments.
- Engage in the performance management process such as performance reviews, daily feedback, and mentoring.
- Be a sounding board, support the team and encourage personal development.
- Communicate the creative brief and real-world references from the VFX Supervisor and Director to the Rigging and CFX Leads.
- Partner with RnD to push and advance rigging technology in the studio.
- Provide recommendations/technical solutions for effective task completion
- QC work coming in to the department to ensure that your artists have what they need to effectively complete their tasks.
- QC work leaving the department to ensure that it addresses creative brief, notes, and QC requirements of downstream departments.
- Collaborate with show and department supervision teams to determine the broad technical and creative approach to an asset.
- Overcome technical issues (day to day problem solving), in conjunction with R&D, the CG Supervisor and Asset Supervisor
- Communicate with other departments and provide solutions to technical issues
- Attend or run dailies sessions, reviews, and team meetings as required
- Cast team members on to shows who can complete the required work on time and can form good relationships and support the show team.
- Manage workflow to balance production schedule and employee resources
- Communicate artist surplus or deficits to ensure profit and loss margins are maximized
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ rigging experience for VFX for film
- 2 years of experience as a lead
- Experience leading large teams (6+ people) on large projects of 300 + shots, a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in defining and creating photo-realistic assets
- Strong understanding of human and animal anatomy and hard surface functionality
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling assets
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
- A strong understanding of animator requirements
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to train and coach artists in rigging techniques and best practices
- Strong aptitude for rigging/cfx workflow design, support and advancement bearing in mind flexibility, user experience and scaleablility.
- Senior level experience in Python scripting
- Experience with procedural rigging systems and ability to expand on them
- Experience with Houdini’s toolsets for CFX work in hair, cloth, skin and muscle
- Experience with Facial rigging and Facial performance a plus.
- Comfortable working in a LINUX/UNIX environment.
- Ability to help with bidding; determine the timeframe and scope required for each project
- Advise production on how to best utilize resources in the team when there are competing priorities and requests
- Capable of managing a team of artists; setting expectations, and managing their time with the help of your coordinator
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Ability to teach new techniques and apply new approaches to push rigging and cfx to the next level for Image Engine
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm during peak production periods and maintain the morale of the rigging/cfx teams
Please apply directly via our website: https://jobs.image-engine.com/find-a-job/
- Address Image Engine Vancouver
- Experience 5 - 10 Years